View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lance40

Taking the plunge....again

Last March I committed to sobriety and got 70 days under my belt before I started drinking again. Since then it's been on and off again with mostly moderation with the occasional binge. Even those haven't been like they used to be. All that said, I grew up in an alcohol abstinent family and community and feel the call to sobriety because I know I have a problem with alcohol.

I've always resisted AA, but yesterday I had coffee with a friend who has a long relationship with AA. We had a great chat, and we both laughed and were somber together as I shared with an honesty I've never shared before. I've asked her to be my accountability partner, and she's thrilled to be asked and involved. She's an introvert like I am, so as first steps she's going to get me the AA book this week and suggests I read a chapter a week and we meet to discuss.

She mentioned the importance of starting by getting stated intentions out into the world, so I'm here to state I'm not drinking today.

I haven't posted for a long time because I felt it would be hypocritical to post on a sobriety forum when I wasn't committed to sobriety, but I've still been lurking and reading posts. It's nice to be able to post again from a place of intention.

One thing I am happy to share is that I quit recreational drug use the same time I quit alcohol in March of last year after a 10+ year habit. I'm 8.5 months 100% drug free, so I've already proven to myself that I can do sobriety.