Thread: Want to cut out
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
timeagain

Want to cut out

My mother in law drinks almost every evening. She works, takes care of her mom, and functions. It does not seem her world has fallen apart, yet. I understand alcoholism is progressive. I want to keep my daughter and I away from this double life. My husband, an only child, wants to maintain somewhat of a relationship. Their relationship is superficial at best. However, the holidays are here and they want to visit the week before thanksgiving. I'm ok with this but I can't be around her in the evenings.

After discussing with my husband he now wants to invite them to her birthday a few weeks later in another town where a wedding will be taking place for my niece. We need someone to watch our daughter (no kids at wedding) and he wants them (along with him supervising) to watch her. He says he is free to take our daughter to see them if he wants. If they were sober, yes. But his dad enables her and I believer her drinking is far worse than just evenings.

Bottom line is she is not in recovery. And denies any problem. I have made it clear that she is not welcome to stay with us or have my daughter alone at any point. Has anyone had to deal with alcoholic in laws? I am in al anon.