View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
likehappiness

I know exactly where you are at. I am a nurse...the majority of the medical community do not "get" addicts. I am not currently working in a nursing setting but I have chose not to tell any of my current co-workers my past. About a month into my job one of my new co-workers made a comment about how she has absolutely has no use for drug addicts.

So, obviously won't be telling her my story. I have a feeling she would be very, very pissed if she found out. Just goes to show you, you don't know anyone just by looking at them! After working with her for the past 3 years have still not told her anything about me and my past. Oddly enough she got hurt a couple of months ago and I have had to watch her gulp down a bunch of hydrocodone pills for her pain. She doesn't even realized just how EASY it is to go down that path. I have even heard her "counting" how many she has left? Mmmm....I used to do that. Do I think she has a problem...No, but continue the behavior and she will be in that boat. I have even heard her in a drug induced giggling moment at work laughing and making a comment about feeling no pain...

People that have no experience with addiction just do not understand it. There are a lot of people who are child abusers that are not addicts...so they don't always go hand in hand. Dysfunction comes in many ways. I have even found myself being judgmental of addicts at times and I AM ONE!

I guess I would just be careful about who you talk to. Some people just will not understand.