View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Wastinglife

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
Thanks for the responses. It helps. I have been trying to stay sober around people who drink. I have tried to distance myself from my friends for this reason and not tell them my decision. Its clear this plan will not work. I mustered up the gumption and just placed calls to my life long buddies and told them I'm no longer drinking. This was a huge issue for me to conquer. They all seemed relatively supportive. Time will tell. I hate to sound selfish but this is not about them. Its about me. Drastic times call for drastic measures. Day one halfway down. Thanks again SR for the continued support.
I was in rehab 3 years ago. At the time, only my family knew. I have relapsed a few times since, always when meeting with an old friend or two that I haven't seen for a while. I have since let most my friends know about my alcoholism or at least hinted that I have a problem with booze and can't drink.

It is liberating in a way. No pressure to drink, but then again, a little lonely because I can't go to some things.