View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Aellyce

I think this is important, thanks for bringing up, EG.

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I'm not a fan of one-sided stories, and I didn't comment on the threads I've described, coming down in favor of avoiding provocation instead. But I do believe that this is a non-trivial matter. We're all cheering on the recovering addict, but I think that taking into account and taking responsibility for the harm we've brought to other people in a meaningful way is an important element of the discussion, and I can only shake my head when it's missing from all the complaining. And people who just want to "move on" and not bring all that painful stuff up since it "serves no purpose," aka "sweep it all under the rug?"
I've done this so many times. Move on... without my own attempts to look back or evaluate my own behavior and the emotional damage I'd caused, even with seemingly very little and simple things I said... I did this even long before alcoholism became my problem specifically, so some of it is related to the alcohol problem (and recovery), but the older stories are more character flaws of mine, or not caring, selfishness, we call call it whatever, same pattern.

I feel that sometimes when we, addicts, successfully put down the drink (at least for a while), it can give us an exaggerated sense of self-confidence and success, and something that superficially feels like happiness and power. And we think we have all the right to just leave the past behind and it will magically evaporate without practical and emotional consequences. Again, I've had my first hand experience with this superficial perception. But what can happen, even if we don't care about those we'd hurt, the psychological consequence of such attitude and behavior can hit back on us later, perhaps when we least expect or want it...

For me, this is an area I am trying to work on in my life, but I still find myself making mistakes after mistakes. Repeating old habits. It's not an east ride, but a worthwhile one I think, in the long haul.