View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wisconsin

Marriage Counseling Update

Dandylion, this is for you especially.

It's not really a marriage counseling update, I suppose, because we haven't gone to a joint session together since our first one. AH went alone, and then the therapist was out of town for a week, and then I went alone this week.

After his solo session, my AH really only said that the therapist had asked us to give him three months and not discuss divorce during that three months. I neither agreed to do that, nor met him with a resounding "hell no!"

This week when I went, the very first words out of my mouth were that there is absolutely no hope that our marriage can be saved while my AH is still drinking. And the therapist, bless him, whole-heartedly agreed with me. Then I said that I do not believe my AH is ready to quit drinking, and the therapist once again whole-heartedly agreed with me. I told the therapist that I am continuing with my preparations to leave, and that I am prepared to leave at any point, even during this "three month" time period. Then it became clear that this three-month time period is what the therapist told my AH he wanted my AH to give him to counsel him on the alcoholism (the therapist is also a certified drug and alcohol counselor).

The therapist was very validating of the absolute hell I have been through, which felt good. He also said that our next session (which is a joint session), will be almost exclusively, if not exclusively, focused on my AH's drinking. When I expressed concern about a session focused solely on that (concern only that my AH will flip out when his problem is singled out and begin verbally abusing me), the counselor just looked at me and said "Wisconsin, I am trained to do this."

So...one day at a time, as always. More will be revealed. I continue on my path of preparing to leave.