View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  
SoberLife2014

Glee, I feel like there is a purpose under all of the "rules" of AA and sometimes people forget those purposes and become focused on the rules. Like, I feel like the purpose of meetings is so you can be reminded of how serious alcoholism through newcomers, people sharing their stories, discussing the BB etc. And I feel like the purpose of doing service through AA is so that you can get out of yourself and feel good about yourself for doing something to help others out.

That being said, I think it's still very important for you to go to the meetings and do service, but you still have a life outside AA too. In other words, I think there needs to be a balance. I think it might be unhealthy if you completely immersed yourself in studying all the time and likewise it'd be unhealthy for you to disregard your responsibilities for AA. Perhaps you could be honest with your sponsor and say "Hey, I have these responsibilities right now. It's important to me to do well at my new job, but my sobriety is still #1 on my priorities and I'm doing my best to balance both out". I think your sponsor is just worried that you're standing on a slippery slope and if you miss one meeting then you'll start missing a bunch of meetings, etc. But I think as long as you're getting what you need in AA and continuing to practice the steps, you're doing what you need to do to stay sober. At the end of the day I think it's up to you and what you feel is best for Glee.