Thread: What now?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ssenteews

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I see a number of posts from struggling alcoholics who cite "lack of support" for the reason they relapse and drink. Yet when pressed, they often can't define what "support" they need or aren't getting. They don't know what support is, but if they had it, they would be sober. That's vague and puts the burden of recovery on the family member.

The truth is, recovery is in the hands of the alcoholic, not the family member. If he drinks, he drinks, and it is on him. If he wants to be sober, he will work towards that himself.

Don't take the burden of your husbands drinking...or not drinking...upon yourself.
Doggonecarl, I want to thank you and the others for your straight forward talk. It is truly appreciated. It is very uplifting to go back and read yours and others comments because it helps put me back in the right frame of mind toward this thing called alcoholism and recovery. I am thankful for this sight because my time is so limited. And yet I get real life experiences from those who are recovering from alcoholism or who are battling alcoholism, which to me is therapeutic in itself for me. Thank so much for your constructive input.