Thread: About Me
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
shamrock14

How do I enable his addiction...in a lot of ways I guess. I'm actually finding it hard to answer that specifically. I read this, (it's a post "Are You an Enabler?" on Psych Central - I don't have enough posts to post links apparently, and it is very much me. He doesn't work, which actually works out for me as we have twin 7-year-olds, but that means I pay for everything. He would take money to get drugs when his prescription was used up early (because it's abused) and I would make excuses to myself for why that was ok...until it wasn't. I told him he doesn't need cash - he now buys stuff so he can get cash back (and lies about the purchases.) This is a recent scheme. I've threatened to take him off the bank account but haven't yet. I keep his morphine pills out of the house where he doesn't have access and bring home what he's prescribed daily. I guess I make it easy for him to do all of this without any consequence. He has wrecked a couple cars over the years.

I suppose the better question is how don't I enable him.

I've recently been thinking about ultimatums. I haven't been ready to give that because I pretty much know the outcome. I feel guilty because I don't know where he'd go if he was out of the house. I know it's not my problem but it's something I'm having to come to terms with. I'm getting there...