View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Venecia

Welcome, JP123!

Earlier this week, I offered this observation to a newcomer:

"What I learned (when I joined SR) when I joined is that everyone's story is different and everyone's story is the same. We want freedom from addiction, period.

"I joined SR a little over a year ago. I haven't had a drink in more than 14 months."

When I first joined, I also was a little taken aback by many posts. For me, some of it was daunting and, to be completely candid, I had fears that relapse was a foregone conclusion. Not true. Not true at all.

But what I did -- and what I recommend for anyone who is new here -- is to join your class. Yours would be the Class of October 2014. There, you'll find people in the same place as you -- new to sobriety -- and you can give and receive support from that perspective. Dee is a steady presence in the classrooms and he is terrific. Wise.

I joined my class here on SR and for my first year, that is where I devoted most of my efforts. The online camaraderie we've gained has been indispensable to my sobriety and growth in recovery. I care greatly for my classmates and feel very fortunate to have grown alongside them. They're wonderful and I continue to consider my class the heart of my experience on SR.

After a year, I began posting in this forum more frequently -- not because I became Ms. Smarty Sober Pants but because I began feeling more comfortable offering support or feedback. I've also come to enjoy exchanges with many here. Lots of great people on this forum, too.

Whatever you decide, remember this: You can do it.