View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  
casinva

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
Can I run them by the Febbies? I could:
- ignore what she said
It's bothering you so ignoring it is just going to make it fester.
- tell her that I don't like the meeting she wants me to do service at, that I just go to make her happy, and that id do service if it were at the meeting I preferred to be at that day
Is this how you really feel? Do you want to do service at a different meeting? I am getting the impression you don't really want to do service. (What exactly is service anyway? I don't attend AA so I don't know.)
- tell her I prefer a different meeting and leave out the service part
This sounds like what you're leaning towards once the studying is done. But I might be wrong.
- explain the overtime hours needed to study for the test outside of work, and tell her that my career hinges on it so it's nonnegotiable for me me to skip studying
Personally, this is what I would say and ask her how she can help support you through this.
- i agree sobriety is important but I don't think she realizes that I have an ongoing daily discussion about sobriety on SR. I don't want to give up my online anonymity to her, though. (Giving it up to someone in real life is different than developing an outside friendship with existing, active SR users).
You don't have to say SR. Just say you're involved with an online group. Also, is she willing to touch base with you on the phone until you have taken the test?
My replies are above in blue. I don't know this person or what you have shared with her in the past so please take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. I personally would have been offended if someone made that kind of comment to me about not putting sobriety first. What does she expect you to do - go to meetings all day long, every day? She's supposed to be supporting you in this and finding ways to make things work, not passing judgment because you're not doing things how she wants them done. And you know what? You ARE busy right now. That's not necessarily a bad thing as long as you are able to find the right balance.

Your job sounds very exciting! You sound like you're in a really good place and I'm so happy for you.