View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Aellyce

My main occupation has always been doing different kinds of biological research in academic environment. In the last few years my field has been the neurobiology of addiction, which involves studying both molecular mechanisms related to drug abuse in the brain, and associated behavioral abnormalities (using approaches that some people know as "experimental psychology"). I do this with a very dynamic (frequently changing) team and many collaborations, so a big part of my job is also coordinating these teams (I really don't like management much, but it's grown to be part of the work). Just recently I started some teaching in grad school. Something else I started is public outreach activities to raise awareness to drugs, drug abuse, and how they affect the brain. Besides these, I have an old business (completely unrelated to my research stuff) that I started a very long time ago (during college) with my father in my home country, and I am just in the process of closing this down.

I also enjoy traveling a lot and living in different environments, I never felt strongly attached to any country or place (although NYC now is very much an ongoing love affair). I've had a kind of dream for a long time that perhaps I could set up two bases (probably countries) and shuttle between them. My alcohol problem cut into this completely and it has not happened, but I am revisiting the idea now.