Old 10-28-2014, 02:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
endlesspatience

High Risk Situation 1: Goal achieved - I deserve a reward

As part of my recovery, I’ve been looking at possible “high risk situations”. By anticipating and thinking about what happened in the past, I hope to manage them better in the future and avoid a relapse.

So here’s one I’ve spotted. After achieving a decent stretch of sobriety in the past I feel I’ve done enough to control the problems and can celebrate with a drink. The same goes for smoking.

On the smoking front, I’ve got through the whole of October without a fag but I’ve now finished the programme of daily support offered by the British National Health Service. I’ve had problems with relapsing on cigarettes in the past at this stage.

And for drinking, I’ve done nine weeks now. The longest I’ve ever done is three months. Some part of me feels if I get my three month chip, my 90 in 90 or whatever, I’ll have “served my time” and can go and drink again.

I know these things aren’t logical and look a bit pathetic written down, but this has been part of the reason I’ve relapsed in the past.

Would you guys like to help me with suggestions on how to avoid relapse on this particular point over the next few weeks?