View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hawks

Originally Posted by Coffeenotbooze View Post
Good for you! I've thought of going but the whole God thing scares me a little. I should probably get past that and go see what it's all about...sounds like it helped you. Way to go!
I can assure you that AA consists of many many members who had the same feelings. In fact .... the guy who started it all wrote this about his experience with the guy who ultimately helped him get sober (Bill didn't drink for 25 years)

"Come, what's all this about?" I queried.
He looked straight at me. Simply, but smilingly, he said, "I've got religion."
I was aghast. So that was it-last summer an alcoholic crackpot; now, I suspected, a little cracked about religion. He had that starry-eyed look. Yes, the old boy was on fire all right. But bless his heart, let him rant! Besides, my gin would last longer than his preaching."

Ebby Thatcher was the guy & Bill literally sat there drinking Gin & nodding his head at Ebby going "oh really, how nice for you Ebby"

An hour or so later & quite a few gins, Ebby was shown the door in a none too gentlemanly fashion.

Obviously something changed Bills mind though .... look at the legacy he left us alcoholic folk.