View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  
NorCaliGal

Thanks Dee and Leshar.

There was never any physical abuse - just a pretty strict household with lots of rules (many times applied inconsistently, and some just plain odd.) Really high expectations where whatever you did was rarely good enough. Not a lot of praise - my parents didn't want to raise self centered spoiled kids. Punishment for honest mistakes. I could go on and on....

One odd rule I will share as an example. My sister and I call it the "Wheel of Fortune" rule. Literally, it was a rule about how to behave when the family watched the game show on television. We were not allowed to say the answer to the puzzle out loud if we had solved it, because it would "spoil it for everyone else." What we were allowed to say is "I know what the answer is." When everyone else had said "I know what the answer is" only then could the first person who said they knew the answer say what it was. Seriously, to this day if I'm somewhere and Wheel of Fortune is on tv and people are shouting out answers I'm taken aback.

Sheesh, I have A LOT of work to do. But I can't tell you what a huge sense of relief it is to find the ACoA stuff.

NCG