View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
George89

Originally Posted by JanieJ View Post
Hi George, welcome. You sound like a fairly spiritual person. Could you use your spirituality to carve a new life for yourself ?

Who are the drinkers you hang round with ? Are they part of your lifestyle ? I'm newly sober myself , but have told friends I won't be going to the pub with them. Mixed reactions, but this is my life, not theirs.

I 've come to realise that pub culture is something that I 'm not interested in any more-I like going to see bands, and I'm in a band, but then there's something to do other than drink,and lots of venues which are not pubs.

A lot of my friends have suggested alternatives, too-we meet for lunch etc, rather than in the pub. But true friends will support you, and drinking buddies will not. A lot of people here have said that they found out who their true friends are when they became sober.

I think your fear of not being thought of as interesting is unfounded anyway -in the pub, no one cares whether you're interesting because they are all drunk ! Perhaps try going places where they find you interesting because THEY are sober !

Because I play in a band, even when I was drinking, I spent a fair bit of time in the pub being sober, still do, but it's my job. I like to leave pretty quickly before people start talking to me, when the gig is over.

I am beginning to see that pubs are not a fun place for me any more. There are many more things to do in the evenings other than drink, so many constructive and enjoyable pastimes waiting to be explored.

One thing I have learnt in my short time here is that all of us with any kind of drink issue must protect our sobriety at all costs. There is no middle ground.
Hi Janie,

I think most of my close friends would be supportive to tell the truth, and I have enough long term friends who are open minded and more then just drinking buddies which i am grateful for. I think as you say I am also really into music so it makes sense to go to venues more or live music etc, as then the focus is on the event as opposed to the drinking at a pub. Come to think of it, it will definitely be possible to refocus on different types of social outings..I think to be honest I decided to drink again recently as I went on a date, and I just didn't think I could go and not drink alcohol..I think that's a big part for me. If I could date girls sober etc then a massive reason to drink would vanish, but I have always relied on drinking to speak to girls and become intimate etc..

I suppose in terms of spirituality yes it might help. I have spent time in a Buddhist monastery before when I was younger, and doing things like meditating will help to stay grounded and positive. I have not really thought about it from a social dimension before though, although I am sure I could probably attend a meditation class or something.