View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

[B]Andy wrote:[/B]“Itchy - no muffler? Was the guy a redneck? I like to tweak stuff but it has to be an improvement on the original, not just make it louder.”
Andy, yes it was owned by a redneck, and oilfield trash to boot! It’s funny but those are terms they consider to be proud of being.
Andy wrote:
On Wednesday I was trying to make a jig to do a repetitive job quicker. The arithmetic for setting up a power tool wasn't hard but it defeated me, so I thought I'll do it by hand. Finished it and went to cook our evening meal. Thursday I go to use it and discover it is too big! Puzzling what I'd done wrong I discovered I'd made a jig exactly the correct size to make the jig I needed.
Measure twice cut once?

Toots wrote:Itchy, that is one awesome picture, my eurofighter is well impressed
Nice Eurofighter shot. Makes it look so smiley, friendly!

Instant wrote:
“I cannot sing and I am struggling with the complexities of home recording, mixing etc so don't hold your breath”
Hey bud!, How many millionaire singers do you want me to point out that made it? I am no great shakes but many liked me because I “entertained.” My funny songs are talking more than singing. My guitar work was never on a par with Hendrix, but when folks are listening because they are being “entertained,” they get an impression that is greater than the sum of its parts. I can grab a crowd on stage, in a classroom, on the shooting range, or in a public crowd anywhere. Presence projected when I want, fading back when I choose. Dee and everyone who ever got on a stage or in front of a camera and felt invigorated not terrified, or uneasy, which shows, and is worse!

“I used to like reading and responding in the new comers. Lately it gives me the irks. not really sure why. Dee i am full of admiration for your work there - i think posts where the social situation, or sleep problems is seen as a justification for drinking probably do irk me the most. I need to work on acceptance and compassion

The last few springs have set off the AV but this time drinking doesnt cross my mind much- i have a lot going on and get some enjoyment in life- i know what is at stake and i am not inclined to blow it “
Instant, it is the same for me. I barely make time to come here anymore.

General comments for all here:
Many times, when I click on new posts and see the newest posts I find nothing to offer a majority of the time. I certainly can’t just go and tell the obvious ones that they need to come back when they really want to “get a life!” I do not have any problem around drinking or drinkers, but have had some folks hammer me in posts that they felt that I was not acknowledging the struggles of others. Some folks base their sobriety on the amount of positive strokes they get. In other words, after the novelty wears off for others around us, some folks get depressed because they don’t get the same kudos. And then there are the revolving doors. They get sober for a set period, then relapse after said set period. Then there are the ones preparing for a relapse WHO TALK ABOUT STRUGGLING WHEN THE STRUGGLE IS ONLY HOW LONG THEY HOLD OUT UNTIL GIVING IN. As they plan all along.

Lest anyone think me insensitive, let’s remember I’m a recovered alcoholic. It is hard being an alcoholic all the time when drinking, we just twist it 180 degrees in self-delusion. The hard part is quitting, and acknowledging that I was using drinking as an excuse to not engage life. All of us have our reasons, but they are hard to admit, especially to ourselves! Never mind the unwary who deem it their duty to show us the error of our ways, and learn that can be hazardous to their continuing a relationship with us. No one came between me and my beer! NO ONE!

I admit that it appears some folks will not let go of their awareness of their sobriety as if they were naked and trying to get used to it. In some ways we all were or are. We have to face the aftermath of every decision including the one to keep drinking long past the time we knew we were in deep, deep, trouble, just because it was easier. Most often I hear how boring they are when not drinking, and then think when they drink they become the life of the party. We all see those drinking buddies today and just shake our heads. See, no one could ever tell me I had a problem, because they were trying to come between me and my girl/buddy/family/alcohol. No one gets to my family and friends without going through me and my booze first.

Some of us are boring. Let me define boring, with the definition I wrote here several years ago:
Boredom is wanting to do something, anything, as long as you don’t have to actually do something to do it.
From about six months sober I realized that we indeed need to start with a clean slate, and here it is before us, and many times we look at the blank canvas we asked for, and we see the paints we can use and choose, and that the brushes are all cleaned and ready, but for some reason we say we can't, when won't is really the truth we need to face. I was afraid I would bung it up again.
Boredom comes from not picking up the brush and beginning to paint, when we asked for a blank canvas. The alcoholic canvas is done, painted, painting it over and over is what is boring.
I have decided the blank canvas shows me to have been, and now must decide what to be. I am not a world class performer. Nor do I possess the perfect body/looks/possessions/relationships/job/retirement/intelligence. Nor am I stupid, because we all know you can’t teach stupid. And I am willing to learn to accept myself sober.
By my own hand, just as I drank.

Dee wrote:It can take a while to find the right line up Instant - musos tend to have pretty healthy egos - and it can take a while to get used to recording etc - but you will, mate...if I can do it anyone canAmen Dee, you de man! Yeah!

Drake wrote:
Just joking about the chip, sorry to get anyone concerned! I don't think Derek even knew what I was talking about!
Drake, I am sure Derek did not know what you were talking about eh Dee?

DG wrote:Itchy- Glad to hear you're enjoying the bald head.
I took it one step further. I shaved my face too yesterday just for a lark. It does the same as coloring hair does for others, the lack of gray makes the years fade away.
I’m sure you will be glad to be home!

Drake wrote:I am a baldy Itchy, been so for over 4 years now. I had so little left it was the natural thing to do. Once upon a time, I had a jungle... but that lasted till my 30's. Son is going the route it seems.

Drake I have a full head of steel gray hair and a full beard and ‘stache. My youngest son, now 38 was bald by age 19. If he didn’t look my spitting image, I’d have done paternity tests! I was full on salt and pepper by age 30 though. Drake you sound like you are a fellow Boomer! I was born in ’52, you?

Zippy wrote:
dee, you might consider getting a nose job?
Zipster! You should talk, you might consider just getting a nose!

Dee said: “The site is massively bigger than it was when I started here. I could read everything then - family and friends included. That's just not possible now.”

Dee, I can’t keep up with this one thread! I used to try to do 2 but gave up. It used to be Whiners and here, then HATZ and here, and now barely here. But when I feel a bit down, or needing a break myself, I can always come here and to the new posts, and feel of some value to help others get free too.

Carlos wrote:
Well DG, as has happened in the past from time to time, I must disagree with some of what you said above. Fact is, I have found your advice to be more than slightly different on a recovery issue more than a few times. It was obvious that you were going to say what was on your mind, and yes, there were many times that your spin was far from a regurgitation . Plus, I have always admired your ability to cut to the point, be concise, and at times contrarian. I still take and most time enjoy the long way home. Also, my limited business skills were never as sharp as when I was fresh off teaching a class of fresh faced rookies at how to separate the business person from his money...kidding, at properly offering a solution to pain, or ways for them to grow their market share and profits. (yeah - right)

"Hi Overs!!

I got my driver's licence back and about to enjoy some of the spoils today. Driving to meet some friends for a friendly, no scratch that, competitive game of golf on the beautiful Indian Summer day here in West-Central PA. Next week I hit the road for work again and will end the week in Columbus, where my youngest rug-rat is in grad school. We have tickets to the Ohio State game next Saturday too. So wonderful to have the ability to go and do as I please...kinda, I am still on probation and cannot leave home base for any extended period for another 6 months. Sobriety, no, Recovery is the BOMB!"

Carlos I agree completely about DG and others here adding some Lagniappe to the threads we choose to participate in.
Congrats on getting yer driving perquisites back! Recovery is indeed the bomb, second only to seeing a friend make that transition.
Aha! Caught up now I am! As Yoda would say. Me, I have to go see my in laws as my MIL has cancer as I said, and yesterday I shaved off my goatee and ‘stache! I am hairless from the neck up! Amazing how different I look with no gray! And I am even more in solidarity with her. Gotta go and early vote too!

Happy you must all be!