Old 10-24-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
buttercup89

Okay. First of all, what you mention regarding the government's policy is not quite correct. You can look it up on Section 5 of the Executive Order regarding a Drug free workplace

http://www.archives.gov/federal-regi...der/12564.html

I think what you mention regarding driving under the influence is with all due respect ridiculous. I go out with friends and drink alcohol. Am i addicted? Certainly not. Am I allowed to drive? Nope, because I am not in a condition to drive and would endanger other people. The same thing goes if I have to get done some medical procedure and am under the influence of certain medications. It's about directly putting other people in danger. The same goes for children. If any parent is not able to take care of their children, the children will be moved. Children need to be protected and there might be cases where a parent is just not able to take care after them and a foster family might be better for them. Penalties for drug felonies could be a discussion for itself and it's not the topic here.

Please be aware that people in active addiction and people in recovery might be reading here as well. I would appreciate it if you show a little bit more respect and be less sarcastic. Thank you.

Sara21, i agree with you that the crimes that are happening related to addiction are horrible. However, yes, I do think that crimes that no one hurt or endanger physically, should be punished less if done by an addict. But once again, that's not the point of that discussion. But to answer your question, yes, my understanding and feelings would be different whether the attacker is suffering from addiction or if he's doing it because of other reasons. But i think neither of us could answer the question, unless we're confronted with that situation and god forbid that we ever have to face it!