Old 10-24-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
BlueChair

Originally Posted by Needabreak View Post
If my mother -- who is suffering from cancer -- starts lying to me, stealing from me, and generally putting my safety at risk, then I will withhold my support from her and put up a boundary miles high -- just as I had to do with my partner when he did these things and put me at risk due to his addiction.

It's interesting that you quote the government agency called the National Institute of Health -- but at the same time you ignore the fact that this same exact government which the National Institute of Health is a part of finds it necessary to fire people due to drug use, to prevent people from driving due to drug use, to incarcerate millions for drug use, even take away children from their families due to drug use.

Odd paradox, isn't it? One little government agency talks about chronic, relapsing brain disease, and tells us to be compassionate for the poor poor sufferers of drg addiction -- and some people on this board take that as the gospel straight from God! But on the other, many governmental departments and agencies take a very, very hard line. Just try getting caught shooting up or dealing drugs if you have a security clearance job and see how far you get. Your career would be ruined.

The government very sensibly protects itself. It's perfectly ok for anyone who is dealing with an addict to take steps to protect themselves -- without remorse or guilt.
I dont understand what your saying exactly? who said you shouldnt protect yourself? who said you should feel guilty?

If a person lives with a cleptomaniac they probably have to protect themselves too I would guess. Their disease makes them STEAL.

Did you know Alzheimers patients can have VIOLENT outbursts?

I also think that one little government agency is the largest in the world, they are the leaders in addiction and set government policy and educational for the United States. Thank God they are in charge of this instead of some other obscure little group. Before they came along this was the view, quoted from National Institute of Drug Abuse:

For much of the past century, scientists studying drug abuse labored in the shadows of powerful myths and misconceptions about the nature of addiction. When scientists began to study addictive behavior in the 1930s, people addicted to drugs were thought to be morally flawed and lacking in willpower. Those views shaped society’s responses to drug abuse, treating it as a moral failing rather than a health problem, which led to an emphasis on punishment rather than prevention and treatment. Today, thanks to science, our views and our responses to addiction and other substance use disorders have changed dramatically. Groundbreaking discoveries about the brain have revolutionized our understanding of compulsive drug use, enabling us to respond effectively to the problem.

As a result of scientific research, we know that addiction is a disease that affects both the brain and behavior. We have identified many of the biological and environmental factors and are beginning to search for the genetic variations that contribute to the development and progression of the disease. Scientists use this knowledge to develop effective prevention and treatment approaches that reduce the toll drug abuse takes on individuals, families, and communities.
I think family should not be made to feel guilty or shamed for supporting their family member or friend. They should not be made to feel guilty for showing compassion.

When I say poor poor cancer patient, I say it with compassion and sincerity.
When I say poor poor person with an addiction, I say it with the SAME compassion and sincerity.