View Single Post
Old 04-13-2005, 07:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
StandingStrong

About 10 years ago, I took a good look at the so-called "friends" that AH and I were hanging out with. I realized that they were all partiers of some sort and I knew that I didn't want my life to be like that or go where there's had led them. I let them go. Eventually when we had an episode (putting this nicely), AH finally let them go as well.
I still had a few friends of my own that were totally seperate of AH or the crowd we'd hung out. Friends I had from high school. I realized a few years later that they were not good for me. I let them go.
Then again, just in the past 2 years, I've really taken a really hard close look at my friends (and my family). I've taken a good hard look at my marriage, my life, and just everything!!!! Needless to say, some more friends and family members were let go from my daily life. They were placed a little lower on the totem pole as their crises's, problems, dysfunctions, etc were all bad for me and were bringing me down. They were bad for me and my recovery.
Today I have true friends. I have friends that give me more than they take. They are supportive, they are my cheerleaders! They love me, they care about me, they are honest with me and they are loyal to me and what is best for me. They are a lot of things; but truly, they are my "Friends!" in the way that the word is meant.
It took me awhile to figure out how to really pick those people I wanted in my life, those people that were not toxic for me. But once I set my mind to finding myself and getting a new life, it's been so much better.
Sometimes we may like someone and call them our friend. But in reality, they can be very toxic for us and we need to let them go. Another thing I've come to use in my life is the whole detaching thing. I used to get so absorbed with my friends and their problems that it only added to my own stress and everything. Today it's not like that. I can care and sympathize - but it's no longer MY problem.
It's not easy to let go of people that you think of as friends. But then again, maybe it's time you re-evaluate what a "friend" really is. Surround yourself with peole that are good for you. In the long run, you'll be happier for it.