Old 10-22-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
ssenteews

Originally Posted by JustTrogdor View Post
I've been in detox twice, a 30 day and then a decade later a 60 day. In both cases the daily course work was usually very serious. However during breaks and at the end of the day people would hang out and cut loose a bit. It was pretty normal for people to exchange "war stories" about their addiction. It's just something that everyone there has in common and when a group of strangers get together in close quarters it's pretty normal to speak about shared experiences. As an addict it was always taboo to talk about my extensive use around people that didn't understand. In a detox environment everyone there, well most everyone, can understand, listen, and not judge. Sometimes it takes the edge off a bit in a detox environment to joke around a bit about the ridiculous life you have been living. You can't spend all day every day for 30 days beating yourself up constantly. Rehab is about healing.
JustTrogdor, I am sitting here crying tears of happiness because of your reply. I needed to read your very encouraging words from your heart. Thank you so much for sharing a part of your life with me, because it has given me more insight along with the other comments to stay positive and that there is nothing wrong with talking about past "experiences" with alcohol and substance abuse.