View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Thumper

One more post! Having a hard time leaving this thread - I've been thinking about it a lot.

I have a four year degree in alcohol and drug abuse studies. That was a long time ago so I don't know what the programs look like today but when I was there we learned that it was a family disease but we did not talk much about the specifics of co-dependency and if we did it was in relation to spouses or small children - and that didn't apply to me so I conveniently exempted myself. I was living in a lot of denial because there is a lot of alcoholism and codependency in my family of origin. I also abused alcohol in college and drank as much, probably more, than my alcoholic boyfriend eventual husband - so of course I did not classify him as an alcoholic. Looking back I see all the differences that I was ignoring or denying (meeting responsibilities, independence, age, history, goals, etc. - I had all that and he did not and he was in his 30's). I discovered I could stop when real life came calling - and he could not. Anyway - That degree fed into my co-dependency like crazy. I would really encourage you to read a book called 'Co-dependent No More' and maybe attend some al-anon meetings or find the stickie at the top that lists some books to read. Half my class was recovered alcoholics that were already counseling and wanted the degree. Some were active alcoholics and I really wonder about the rest of us now. They should have required we all go to 6mos of al-anon