View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
CodeJob

Last year i was clinically depressed and did almost nothing.

Just like the Grinch story, Christmas still came. Even though there were no cards sent, no cookies baked, no ornaments on the tree. Gifts were exceedingly barebones as my RAH had not yet gotten a job. I online shopped Black Friday deals to stretch my money and conserve my energy. Our biggest push was adopted family gifts for our church.

Do what you want. Take the time to think through starting new traditions, simpler traditions.

Maybe consider family gifts of Kiva where they can micro loan as a family and learn about how simply much of the world lives? Or do an activity like walking a Xmas light display as a family as a new tradition. Ours has a night where a can drive knocks off a couple of dollars admission! Go rollover skating, start a tag football tradition, a snowman contest. Take spoiled kids shopping and they pick out for Toys for Tots and drop that chosen stuff right into the bin. Or over to come over and clean out toys with spoiled nieces and nephews to donate pre-holidays. Make it about time and memories rather than things.

Last year DS and I went and bought enough cans for a food drive to get into a movie for free. I made him pick out all the food and it was a great exercise at learning how fast things add up! Also at the movies time to talk is limited...

Doing something instead of standing around and talking too much...

Expectations. Take the time to ferret out what are yours and honor what you want this time to be. Then honor what you feel is important no matter what anyone else thinks.

It is wise to figure this out now.