View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
5KRunner

Way to go! I'm a day behind you on #23, and I totally agree about the feeling of settling into sobriety. I'm not allowing myself to become complacent because I know that's a quick and sure road to relapse, but I'm also not thinking about it 24/7 like I was in the first 1-2 weeks. Essentially, sobriety is beginning to feel like a natural part of my life instead of an awkward new undertaking.

Like I told messyliver, it's been stressful for me to 'out myself', so to speak, by telling my family and friends about my sobriety, and politely declining alcohol during special occasions. The worst part has been the anticipation of actually having to say something; but once I get it out there in the open, it feels like a big weight is lifted. Not a single person has responded negatively (yet), and some people have even said that they're proud of me. And if anyone does react negatively in the future? Maybe I should re-consider that relationship. You either grow with me and want the best for me, or you don't. Might be a harsh and crude perspective, but this is my health and my life at stake.

At any rate, good luck to you, and well done on 24 days!!!