View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

Originally Posted by sprout50 View Post
Mera, Congrats on 24 days! You seem to still be romantizing wine. Instead of thinking about how nice it would be to have wine at the holiidays, think about the effects it has had on you in the past. If you are like me, it is not good. Think of having a sober Christmas for your kids. You can do this.
I would ruin Christmas if I drank, I know that.
I definitely am still romanticizing wine, it is not my last, but clearly my most major hurdle to overcome. Right now I am just riding this out, trying to build up more time. I am avoiding triggers- today I had to close out the Facebook page I manage where I am connected to various food, gourmet, wine and fine dining sites. I am really choosy on what restaurant I go to on the few times I have been out. I haven't cooked certain meals and I am avoiding certain social gatherings like afternoons on the beach, aperitivo. But I won't be able to avoid all this forever, I need to change my mindset, or allow myself time that my mindset changes itself.
I feel like I have a decent handle on the "stereotypical alcoholic" behaviors. I had gotten to the point where I was drinking in the morning, randomly stopping at bars for a quick glass at all hours of the day, drinking alone. I've had a few morning cravings or thoughts to stop by a bar, but they have been fairly easily dismissed.
The ones I am having real trouble with are the "romantic" ones, the glass of wine with a meal, the afternoon beer on the beach, the girls night in over a bottle of wine, sipping on a glass while whipping up a gourmet meal.
The Italians say all the time "piano piano" slowly, slowly