Thread: Day 1 again :(
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 01:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

Mavis, keep at it. I understand how you feel, it is sot frustrating to keep falling time and time again. But you have to keep trying, eventually you are going to get this.
As for your husband, it is really disappointing and hurtful that he doesn't understand. My advice would be to let go of that. I faced that too with my boyfriend. He is wonderful in every way but he just did not get and does not get what it means to be an alcoholic. He simply could not wrap his mind around it no matter how many times and how many ways I tried to explain it. It doesn't make them bad people, it is just a concept that some non-alcoholics have a hard time understanding. Just moderate! Just drink a glass of water in between drinks! Just drink slower and pay attention, stop when you start to feel tipsy!

I'll give you an example. My psychologist told me that she has an addiction to sweets and uses this to help me with my addiction. But I still don't really and truly feel that she gets me the way say, you all here do. In turn, when she tells me that she has locked herself in a bathroom and eaten 2 kilos TWO KILOS of chocolate in one go I have a hard time understanding that. I am an addict for god's sake, yet I still cannot wrap my mind around someone eating almost 4 and half pounds of chocolate in one sitting.

This is your journey. Maybe try a different approach with your husband. Tell him that you know he has a hard time understanding but you would appreciate his support and give him a clear list of what support means to you.