View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 01:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

Settling in to sobriety on day 24.

Well I've made it to 24 days and I finally feel like I am settling in to being and feeling sober. Some of the absolute, constant obsession with alcohol, drinking, sobriety, cravings, alcoholism, psychological questions, wine, fears and everything else is starting to subside.
I am still facing almost daily cravings but they are getting easier to manage and are less frustrating.
I have to be really honest and say that the idea of never drinking again is still something i don't feel like I have fully come to terms with. I know that must come if I want to remain sober. But for the time being I am feeling strong that I can make it through this day. Just a short time ago I didn't feel confident that I would make it through the day, it came down to pure luck it seemed.
There are events on the horizon that concern me. I will be returning to the US for Christmas and I worry about how I will conduct myself there. I think "oh, but Christmas dinner with out wine?" I have visions in my head of sitting around enjoying extended family over a glass of wine. I think of the holiday parties I will attend with friends. I think of my best friend who has expressed her concern that I won't be the same sober. But for now, today I won't drink.
I am thankful that I have another couple of months before I have to face those big challenges. The further I go, the more there is to throw away if I decide to drink. I don't want to obsess over this, but I do think I will start talking to my psychologist about preparing for this trip and coming up with a solid plan.

I also need to maintain a good level of vigilance. I might be feeling ok, right now, this sunny morning but it can sneak up at any time. 24 days is great, but I know I am still at the beginning of this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I know I couldn't have made such huge personal developments and stayed sober this long without this site. Thank you.