View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Climber122

We also can find a way of sabotaging our own happiness. When we have had a while away from active drinking we start to feel physically better. No hangovers, more energy, better sleep. But things like self-esteem, short tempers, fear, perfectionism - these traits that a lot of addicts/alcoholics possess remain.

If we do nothing to change the part of us that uses alcohol to feel better about ourselves and/or our life circumstances, then this time of new found sobriety is a dangerous time. It's a very human thing to forget why we stopped a destructive behavior that is killing us when we start to feel better.

I see this play out with my own Dad, God bless him - he had heart surgery after nearly dying of a massive heart attack 10 years ago. For a couple years after a very emotional and committed decision to change he was much trimmer - in shape - took exercise seriously. Ten years out now, not so much. The reality of the heart condition and fear of death is no longer "real" enough to deter him from the immediate gratification of eating greasy food and relaxing when he should be walking. I think we do this with alcohol as well.