View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Why is your brain saying 'Drink'? When at the same time it is saying 'Not Drink'? This being of two minds, this inner conflict, is part of the definition of addiction, I think. If you did not think you should stop, then continuing to drink simply wouldn't be an issue. And we wouldn't find ourselves here on this forum.

Your brain remembers the pure pleasure of that first buzz, and many since, too. That warm, fuzzy, contented feeling is so powerfully attractive that it has imprinted itself on our simplest brain function. Now, we see this urge to drink as a matter of survival - I gotta have a drink now or I don't know what will happen! Of course, for most of us, continuing to drink is a step towards self destruction, not self preservation. We think it's necessary for survival, but it isn't, and never was. It's all about that pleasure.

We have learned to pass on urges for immediate gratification in favour of greater rewards ever since we were two years old, and this is a chance to extend that learning. Appreciate that you can decide to quit drinking and do it, and nothing bad will happen. To the contrary, all that is good may happen, but only if you are sober. If you keep drinking, everything bad is in store for you.

You can choose, Linz, you can choose to quit. If you are like me, your shoulders will drop and you will stand taller than you have for a long time. You will like that person who looks at you from the mirror. Life gets so much less complicated, so much simpler, and so much more satisfying in every way. I recommend it.