View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Linz

Why is my brain telling me to drink?

Last Monday night I had two glasses of wine, and that was it. Very unlike me. Usually it's a 6 pack of 8.5% beer, sometimes a shot mixed in between there somewhere. Not sure why I stopped at two glasses of wine.
The entire day on Tuesday, it felt as if I had indigestion. I took two Tums, but it wasn't getting any better. By 5:00pm, the bottom right side of my abdomen was throbbing a dull, achy pain. By midnight, I could hardly stand it, and kept waking up from sleep. I hadn't drank on Tuesday.
I rolled out of bed on Wednesday morning at 7:00. I was in the ER by 8:00, and was having an appendectomy by 3:00 in the afternoon.

Long story short, I haven't drank since Monday of last week, underwent surgery, was prescribed Percocet for the pain, came home on Thursday. We had a very energetic and fun-filled weekend with my boyfriend's two other children, (we have a ten month old who lives here at home with us. His two others live in GA.) He drank, but not much. I didn't touch a drop, and barely thought about it. I had one craving that lasted about thirty seconds.

SO.... Why is it that my brain is saying "drink." I have felt good without it! I am so used to waking up with hangovers, exhausted, lost memories from the night before, etc...
I'm doing well without booze. I am so confused. I feel as if I don't want to drink, but (and this sounds funny,) my brain is telling me to drink! "Even if it's just a couple." Sheesh! I cannot recall (other than the wine last Monday) the last time that I only had "a couple."