View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jewelsmn

Question Dating an alcoholic...

This is going to be kind of hard for me to explain but I will try. R has been in recovery this time and is 9 months sober. He lives in a sober house right now. He has been in many recovery places prior to meeting me. He has been an alcoholic for as long as he can remember. He has been married a couple times but he has never been a violent alcoholic. With that said, He seems like he has his ducks in a row right now. What freaks me out at times is how he can talk about drinking and how much he could drink in one sitting. He doesn't talk about this in front of my daughter (Thank the Lord). But at times this kind of talk makes me uncomfortable. We have been seeing each other for nearly 2 months now. I know its a really new relationship. He/We have been going slow because that is what he wants. He says he can't just jump into things. He is taking one thing at a time. I get that too. I am ok with the slow relationship, it's different but nice for me. I don't feel used.
Problem is he is so super quiet at times. Though he is sometimes just ready to talk about all that he has gone though, like it's a medal of honor. This kind of makes me uncomfortable.
I want to love this guy. He is kind to me and my daughter. He wants to do things outside and have fun...walks, pumpkin patch, frisbee, anything until the snow flies around here. It's great having someone to just have adult conversations with. K and I have been single mom and daughter for 11 years. I have been running into some problems with K being sometimes rude and angry at him. I think this is normal....she is having this change with a man in the house every once in a while. He does back up what I say.
How do I love this guy and not get caught up in his stuff. To me, he seems like a dry drunk. I don't know. (I am studying to be a drug and alcohol counsleor). What's next for me?
juliemn