View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
courage2
p***enger

Good evening, friends!

Welcome to Everyone! Whether you’re counting days or years, we’re glad you’re here! And to all, congratulations and thanks for showing up today!

Here’s the list of those who’ve made part of their commitment to sobriety include posting on this thread from about 8:30 p.m. October 18 to 8:30 p.m. on October 19, NYC local time:

1newcreation
afloatsober
airwick
AlcoholFree66
altoids
Alynn
Alysheba
ANewDayNYC
aussieblue
BarbieKen
Beanie25
biminiblue
Bubovski
Cascabel
charleesavedme
ChickChick
ChloeRose63
Chrissy2014
Coldfusion
courage2
DaneK
EJM824
erfra7
Findingtheway
ForgiveMeAll
ForMeForThem
GentleSoul
Gilmer
Goat
goose333
gracetuesday
Grateful11
grtgrandpa
HeartsAfire
Hevyn
JanieJ
jsm273
Kaneda8888
Kiya
Kris47
least
margherita
Mish
Mountainmanbob
mystified
Purpleknight
Resolv
sickofthiscrap
SnowDawg
Stevie1
sthlondonab
Tamerua
VikingGF
Waterfalls2014
yukonm
zeppodog

Counting down to Halloween night. The monsters are lining up: who’s next? Barging to the front, here come the dragons:

The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!
I suppose that was the first poem I ever learned by heart.

Despite the easy one-two one-two with which the vorpal blade goes snickersnack against Jabberwocky, most dragons are quite harmful and hard to kill. Think of the terrible dragon Smaug and his joyless destructive greed!

Nonetheless, dragons aren’t the worst among monsters. The damage they do is possibly not all due to malevolence. Possibly. I think I have a soft spot in my own armor over dragons because I read The Reluctant Dragon when I was a kid. Written in 1898 by Kenneth Grahame, who went on to write The Wind in the Willows, its dragon makes peace with St. George very sweetly.

May we all make peace with our individual dragons, and I’ll hope to see you tomorrow!