View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lostgirl808

Breaking up with a recovering addict?

Hello
I have posted on here when things were at their worst with my addict fiance and the understanding and emotional support I found were so overwhelming and gave me so much strength that I find myself here again!

I have been with my fiancé for 3 years. 2.5 of them have been a roller coaster of relapse on relapse on relapse. Finally when he was shooting up 4-5 times a day and was away for a weekend I was ready to leave. Had it all set up. Told his mother everything. So when he came home his parents told him you have two weeks to find a place and sell your car and move out. It was heart breaking to watch. He's a good guy with a heart of gold but a big problem.

Over the course of our relationship my sex drive has just disappeared. I've had to emotionally detach from him so many times . And he relapses then gets clean but before my feelings can build back up he would relapse again. Sex feels like a chore :/

So anyway it's been about a month now and his mom is handling his finances and he has bed. Going to meetings multiple times a week. He is 23 days clean and I'm proud of him he's doijg everything he can to work on his sobriety , but I'm realizing that I love him but I'm just not in love with him anymore. I don't foresee the feelings coming back and I think I am ready to move on.

How do I do that though? How do you break up with someone in recovery? How do you tell someone that fragile that you are going to crush them? I'm scared but I know it's what I need to do :/