View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
suki44883
RIP Sweet Suki

For me, it is hard to understand how irrational the public can be about "risk". People will have a few drinks, get into their cars and drive at 75 mph without a seat belt, stop and get a double-burger and fries, then light up a cigarette and send text messages while going down the highway expressing their fear of ebola.

Those who don't get their pets vaccinated against rabies invite a disease into their homes that is 100% fatal. Ebola is only about 60% fatal? The flu kills hundreds of people in the U.S. each year, but it's too much trouble to get a flu shot? We have a number of people in the U.S. who die from THE PLAGUE each year, but it never even makes the news.

Yes, ebola is a serious and potentially deadly disease, but the chances of getting it are thousands of times less likely than of being hit by lightning, run over by a bus, falling down in your bathtub and dying, and lots of other things. Compared to the risks about which we actually can do something....obesity, heart disease, diabetes, drunk driving, texting and driving, etc.---ebola in the US is a relative non-issue.