Old 10-18-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ptcapote

Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
I couldn't agree more. When I first quit I really cared about what drinkers thought of me. I didn't want to offend them by not drinking. Now I find drinking to be just another annoying human trick, like smoking. Some of my old friends are drunks and drinkers but I don't make new ones. When someone asks me if/why I don't drink I think to myself, "Why would I want to do that?" but my usual answer is that I quit. With the slightest provocation I'll easily fess up that I'm an alcoholic and that drinking messes with the very fabric of my life. I never would have imagined!
Thanks for your response, gaffo! Me too on the fessing up. I NEVER would have thought I would be OK with admitting that I am an alcoholic. But as time goes on, I get more recovery under my belt, and more confidence back, I have no problem admitting it. I don't necessarily volunteer it, but if pushed, yeah...I put it out there. In some situations, if I suspect someone could use help, I also put it out there. Very different me from the one 20 months ago who sat in an AA meeting and choked on the very "a" word. But, then again, I was a different kind of "a" back then