Old 10-18-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
MissFixit

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
I honestly can not remember my frame of mind when I joined SR and have not gone back to read my original posts because I simply am not ready too. But I do know that I blamed my husband for all our problems. I was naive and ignorant about addiction and codependency. I suffered from being terminally unique. I was angry, sad, confused, hurt and felt so all alone.

Although, I would never wish addiction on any anyone or any family, I was honesty relieved to know I wasn't the only one whose life had become so unmanageable because of addiction. The sad stories broke my heart, but the ones that made it to the "other side" gave me hope for ME!

That said, I too truly wish we could do a survey for why people have left as we have lost so many wonderful and healthy posters with amazing ESH. Dollydo, Kindeyes, EnglishGarden, cynical one, hello kitty, outtolunch.....to name a few. It was these posters who helped me (and others I know) - so much when I was in deep denial. Some where gentle while others said what I so didn't want to hear. And I can not thank them all enough.

Sadly, these posters have left for similar reasons. The disrespect and mocking by a few (aka junior high mean girls clique) was enough for them. I admire their boundaries and desire for serenity and their integrity to be true to themselves. But it was truly a great loss to so many of us.

Lastly, I am truly thankful for the 12 steppers who have stuck around to share with us. Some days I think, I can not wait until I no longer need or want SR. I have often thought had my husband maintained his recovery, I would have been long gone. But I know I still have much work to do, so I stay....just not as much.
I feel much the same. Many of the people who helped me are no longer here and sometimes their advice was very tough and hard to hear. It wasn't that they were being mean or harsh, I was just in a raw place. I never really took offense to things as I understand what "take what you like and leave the rest" means. The hardest stuff to hear, the stuff that newbies get offended by is THE EXACT INFORMATION that I understand well years later and they are the MOST important revelations for my mental health. It is the tough life lessons that we don't like. We want the storybook ending, and feel we deserve it especially if we have sacrificed and "done the right thing." Unfortunately, that is not how the world works and many folks don't get the life they planned and worked for. I think people read stuff here and project their anger and frustration on posters rather than the real sources of their pain...their choices.

My most important revelation is that in order to be in a healthy union, you must first be healthy independently. Codies and couples don't like that idea and all it encompasses because it is the opposite of codependence. It feels weird.