Thread: First Step
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 02:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
JanieJ
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Flakey. I tried to drink in moderation for some years, but it has never worked for me, because once I was on the way to being drunk, that's where I was definitely going. Then in the morning, it would be, oh no, I did it again, and that empty bottle of wine by my bed.
So I've given up completely, and the money I spent on wine I am saving, that's about £30 a week, or about £20 dollars, for a holiday with my grandchildren.
As for strength and willpower to stop, I reached a point where I realised it was eventually going to make me very ill and ultimately kill me. I want to live. I think it was more of a decision, and once made, it was easier to work within that.
So I've been sober for a week now, not far in, but this is first sober week I have had for over 20 years. Feels amazing, feels great to have that control. I might have a long road ahead, but that' s fine.
I have mental health issues too, but I will cope with things as they come, and get help, talk on here, keep going. I've made that decision, whatever it brings.

I hope you find all the support you need here, and make the choices that are healthy for you. Everyone is so supportive and non judgemental here, it's a life-saving place.