Old 10-17-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
allforcnm

Originally Posted by HealthyLiving View Post
Wow. Have to say I'm a bit in shock to read the last two replies because up until now, 100% of input since my breakup has been: "GOOD for YOU! You did the right thing! You are courageous and brave!" "Move forward and don't look back...!" etc etc etc And all of that, while encouraging, made me feel sad, too. He's a very good person, very tender hearted, and 95% of the time takes responsibility for his actions.

I should mention that the breaking point for me was that he also does hard drugs occasionally (every 2-3 months) and when he does, he disappears and I go into anxiety attack mode, I have chest pains, etc. This happened 2 days before I broke up with him. He always feels ashamed afterwards but doesn't make excuses, but this time I just thought: "Enough. I can't do this anymore." The stress was starting to really wear on my own health. He's been a heavy drinker for 35 years; that's his main drug by far. I don't drink other than a half glass of wine every once in awhile.

When we first met, he mentioned that he "doesn't do ultimatums" and though he had somewhat tempered that along the way, I knew that change had to be up to him and I didn't want to get pulled any further into the vortex of codependency. I wrestled over and over whether to try to tell him he would have to change for me to stay, but I guess I knew in my heart he would choose alcohol so perhaps I just decided why not save us both the pain of that decision and leave him/us with whatever shred of dignity I could. But it haunts me so much.

Wow, I am really hurting right now. Thanks for the input. And I am sorry for hijacking this thread! (Should I start a new one?)
HealthyLiving,

You are welcome to start a new thread or post on this one.. its all up to you.

I think the comments you received are good .. its a personal decision you have to make.. after reading more of your posts it sounds like you had well thought out and valid reasons for breaking up with him. It doesn't mean he is a bad person.. but instead there are just things going on you cant live with. If your having second doubts.. maybe try making a pro/con list and be very honest with yourself.