View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
theuncertainty

Feeling sad -- trying not to

DS turns 10 shortly, and that is amazing and fun and wonderful, just like he is. This is one of the 2 times a year we hear from his father, AXH; the other time being Christmas. He e-mails to ask if he can drop a present off at my work for DS. I respond 'OK, leave it at the front desk and they'll send it up.' (It's a secure building so he can't get past the front desk.) He leaves it. I bring it home to DS.

Same thing this year. DS gets to wait 2 days, though, to open it. DS got silly wondering about what it could be, and went on to skip around and sing, "Grandma spoils me rotten! Grandpa and Grandma spoil me rotten! Auntie spoils me rotten! Dad spoils me rotten! Only you and Uncle don't spoil me rotten. Dad spoils me!!"

*sigh* I know it's not my job as Momma and the only parent involved in raising him to "spoil" him. And I know that even if I could, I wouldn't. My family does dote on him. They spend so much time with him, doing things, hanging out, baking or building things with him/us; gifts on special occasions. So, they do spoil him, in a rather good way, IMO.

But.... He hasn't seen his dad in over 2.5 years. Just presents dropped off. Presents that are so out of sync with how old DS is and what he likes. No calls. No working on his addiction and issues in order to win visitation back. Presents twice a year. And DS feels that's being spoiled.

I smiled, hugged him and joked back that he's a rotten kid, alright. But now that he's in bed, I want to cry. But maybe I shouldn't? If DS thinks that's good and being spoiled, should I be glad that he's ok with that? I don't know where I'm going with this. I'm just sad. Thanks for listening. ((((hugs))))