Thread: Lost and hurt
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FHL76

Lost and hurt

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here. I am struggling right now with a difficult relationship with an alcoholic. We met in the rooms of AA (I have just over 2 years sober) and hit it off pretty quickly. From what he shared in the meeting we met at, he had been in the program 2 years. Later I found out that he had actually relapsed 4 months prior. I was torn about getting involved with someone so new, but he convinced me that he was "fine" and of course I believed him because I wanted it to be true. Not too long into our relationship, he relapsed, I left, I came back, he relapsed again, etc. This has gone on for over 6 months.
For the last couple of weeks I have been able to distance myself physically and as best I could emotionally....the whole while knowing that he has been drinking very heavily. We ended up speaking on the phone recently and he was asking me to take him to the hospital to get medications for withdrawal. I declined, the last time I did that he ended up drinking along with the meds and it was a disaster. Very long story made as short as possible, he ended up calling an ambulance on himself (not the first time). I live in a very small town with a very small fellowship and am feeling very uncomfortable. I feel like I have already screwed up by staying too long, gotten in the way of his recovery, and now I am paranoid that people are thinking poorly of me for it. Part of me wants to isolate, never go to meetings in my town again. I feel unsupported and misunderstood. Ugh, this feels awful. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm feeling really lost.