View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Pagekeeper

Bill W. the Documentary

Has anyone else seen this documentary? I thought it was pretty good. All docs are slanted, as they are edited by people, but overall I felt this one was fair and objective.

Many details I already knew, but the doc put them in a new light for me. In some ways Bill W. was larger than life, but at the same time, a fallible human being.

One thing that really caught my attention was the situation on his deathbed. I have heard AA members, on more than one occasion, be dismissive of Bill because he begged for a drink during his final moments. I have always felt this was wrong, somehow ... The doc really elaborates on this situation. He was gravely ill, hallucinating, and literally could not breathe. He had probably lost much of his cognitive ability from brain damage caused by lack of oxygenation. The doc sort of put it like this (not a quote): "Yeah, he begged for a drink. He is a real alcoholic after all, and his physical and mental condition had deteriorated. Not sure why this is such a surprise."

This is just my own interpretation, and by no means does anyone have to agree with me, but I do feel that Bill was still in the care of his HP through Lois at this time. He was in no physical or mental condition to actually make decisions for himself, but Lois knew him, and knew his heart. I do not believe the request would have ever occurred if Bill had been in his right mind at the end.

Any thoughts on the documentary? What did you think of it?