View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  
gleefan

((Torn)) - It's always good to see you here. I have always worked hard to be a successful person. I have a problem, I work on it, I fix it, I move on. Alcoholism has been so very different for me. No amount of personal insight, knowledge, or willpower relieved my desire to get drunk. For me, what's worked is stopping one moment at a time, with other recovering alcoholics at my side. You are recovering the moment you decide to stop. You are recovering right now. SR has helped me. AA has helped me. My biggest rewards in recovery have come from stepping outside of my comfort zone.

Tonight I stepped out of my comfort zone by getting a babysitter so I could go to a meeting. In the past, if my husband couldn't watch the kids, I'd skip the meeting. I've never gotten a sitter to do anything that was solely for my well being.

I'm learning how to take care of myself in recovery. I accept the parts of me that are working well and the parts that need adjusting. I accept that I am the only person who can make me a priority. I'm finally showing myself the kind, gentle, and loving behaviors that I always reserved for others.

I think it's so interesting that Autumn is falling out of favor with some of us. Do you have a new favorite season to replace it?