View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SparkleKitty

Hey there -- very well done, my friend. It's natural to feel overwhelmed right after we say something we've been holding onto for awhile. We want to know right away what effect our revelation has had, and it can be frustrating not to know.

You will not know for awhile what the long-term effect of what you said will be. This will be a lot for him to process and that will take time. Future tripping about what he is going to do will only keep your wheels spinning and you on edge. You put your boundary out there and the ball is in his court.

As much as possible try to focus only on the things you can control (i.e., not him or his reaction or choices). Like really being prepared to leave the house if and when he drinks. I am sorry I don't remember how old your daughter is or how aware/vocal she is about her dad's drinking, so I don't have any clear thoughts on how to prepare her. It might behoove you to have an emergency bag packed with everything you would need if you had to leave suddenly, including cash, medicine, etc.

Just try to focus on doing the Next Right Thing, not ALL of the Next Things. You have time. Sending you strength and patience and a lot of big deep breaths!