View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

I don't know of any reliable stats really Glandon apart from the Harvard men study.

The basic details:
Right Now - Harvard Men as Alcoholics

findings:
In the Clinic sample, 100 severe alcoholics treated at the clinic were followed for 8 years. The clinic’s methods were multi-modal: detoxification and hospital treatment followed by referral to AA. At the end of the 8 years, 34% of subjects had achieved stable abstinence, 29% had died, and 26% were still abusing alcohol,[50] and the evidence was that other clinical studies had reported similar lack of success.[51] Subjects who had a stable social environment or who frequently went to AA meetings had the highest rates of abstinence. Overall, however, treatment other than AA did not significantly improve the subjects’ outcome.[52] In fact Vaillant reports the dismal fact that fully 95% of the Clinic sample had relapsed at some time during the 8 year study period.[53][54] Vaillant noted that clinical treatment helped only in the short term, as crisis intervention and detox. There was one indicator, a financial one, of short-term success: clinical intervention had significantly reduced the cost of future health care for the alcoholics.[55]

The Natural History of Alcoholism Revisited - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
in depth paper

http://www.massgeneral.org/psychiatr...-addiction.pdf

Of course the study started in 1940 and does not include women.

I can tell you from my personal experience here that my recovery is not dependent on other peoples recovery.
My stat is 100% success since I came to SR

I've seen long term sober people go out...both here and in real life....but I've also known many 'hopeless drunks' who got sober and never drank again.

I'm hitching my star to Wagontrain B

D