Old 10-09-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
thelittlesister

My sister's on a downward spiral... help?

Hi everyone.

I'm very worried about my sister. I would say she drinks a bottle of wine a day, some days combined with hard liquor. This has probably gone on for 10 months or more.

In addition, she smokes around 2 packs of cigarettes a day. She drinks Coca Cola like it was water. She's also on antidepressants.

She has diabetes and she eats enough to keep her glucose in check, but otherwise she won't eat for a whole day "because I drank too much to eat". She always has cigarettes and alcohol in the house, but food is never a priority.

The minute something upsets her, she'll start drinking. A few weeks ago she asked me to bring her wine to work because she got in a fight with a coworker. She's not drinking while driving yet, but she's showing no signs of improvement so I'm scared that's coming next. A few weeks ago she fell down the stairs and hit her face quite badly after she had a few.

We've tried talking to her about it (myself and a couple close friends) but she only got mad at us for "nagging her about her habits". She doesn't want to do anything about it and I don't know how to handle it.

I understand that I can't help somebody forcefully if they refuse to help themselves, but it's my sister and I can't just stand back. It's been keeping me up for quite a few nights now and I was hoping I could get a few words of wisdom on how to cope with this situation.

Thank you
S