View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SparkleKitty

Originally Posted by tonsoffaith View Post
Thanks guys. I don't want to control him. I want a home free of drugs and alcohol. I want a healthy environment for me and for our little girl.
This is a great start. Now you just have to decide how far you are willing to go to get that. Presuming he changes nothing, are you prepared to leave the home for some time (stay with family, etc.) or to move? Start a legal separation process? You do NOT have to answer those questions right now, but you should not be afraid of considering them.

It is very tempting to set our choices up in a series of "if, then" decisions. IF he stops drinking, THEN I will stay. IF he does not, THEN I will leave, etc. But then...how long do you give him on those IF's? Your resolve may be strong at the beginning, but maintaining the status quo is easier, especially if there are no fires to put out.

Defining boundaries is a way to empower yourself and give yourself permission to make choices that are in your best interest and your daughter's best interest, regardless of what he is or isn't doing. Right now, he is showing you that his intention is to drink, no matter what he says. Actions speak a lot louder than words with addicts.