View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SparkleKitty

So there are rules, and then there are boundaries. A rule is "You can't drink in this house," and you've seen just how effective that can be. You don't have any means of enforcing it. All the power is in his hands -- if he chooses to ignore it, that's pretty much the end of the story unless he subsequently does something that warrants calling the police.

A boundary is, "I will not be in the same home as an actively drinking alcoholic." Now, this is of course trickier, but it is far more effective -- IF your desire is to simply exist free from the drinking chaos. It requires that you leave the home when the drinking starts. The onus to take action to change the situation is on YOU.

It's a good idea to look honestly at your motive here. When I made rules with my XABF, it was because I wanted to control his behavior. When I made boundaries but didn't not follow through on upholding them, it was also because I was trying to manipulative his behavior.

When I finally learned to make boundaries and enforce them, it was because I wanted some peace for me no matter what he was or wasn't doing. He didn't like it, but there was nothing he could do about it.

Does that make any sense? Boundaries can be tough to understand, but they can be a tremendously effective tool for gaining enough clarity and perspective to figure out what you really want and how to get it.