View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

Ours was a new marriage. We married in November of 2011, and I finally got sober and stayed sober April 2013. He didn't even know me sober. So, it's been like getting to really know one another He says things have improved - we actually have a life now. He gets to spend quality time with me. I feel the same. There were issues of PAWS for me which we worked through.

The biggest issues I foresee as a potential problem are his religious beliefs don't allow for accepting others' rights to choose their own paths. He has a problem with me saying this, and disagrees, but his actions and words show otherwise. He sees "wrong" and "right" from his interpretations of the Bible. I am accepting of his right to choose his beliefs, and sincerely hope that one day he will show me the same respect. I make allowances for now, and am well aware that it is my right to leave the relationship if I find this unacceptable at a later point in time. We both agree we will not have children, so we have cats and dogs instead. We are both ok with the way we handle finances, he is more frugal, I am more spendy, but I am also the one who juggles all the money around and pays all our bills... so I tend to know exactly what we have and where. I want to travel more than he does, but we will cross that bridge when we get there. So, we've covered all the "big" areas that tend to ruin a marriage and I feel pretty good about where we stand.

I think that because it's a new marriage we were able to survive. I can't imagine carrying on the way we were for 20 or 30 years. He'd have left, or I would have left. Doubt we would've made it had I kept drinking. I quit when I did because I thought it would be a shame to run a perfectly good marriage into the ground. His support has been invaluable to me.