Old 10-07-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Buggirl

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
This is what I heard from someone after opening up on how glad and proud I was about my sobriety. Their argument is that since it was "soooo easy to just quit", I'm not a "real alcoholic". First of all, it wasn't easy, and it's still not easy. The fact that I didn't drink every day, the fact that I never drank alone. What an ignoramus! I am furious! Took me YEARS to finally get the courage to verbalized that I DO have a problem, and this is what I get?!?!? This person isn't a close friend but we do have the same social circle. I just wanted to stab him in the eye! How dare he call me a phoney for acknowledging my problem! The worse part is that he started taking sips of his drink and saying "yum" like taunting me or trying to get to me. Well I didn't show it but he did get to me.

I have read a lot about this today.

What is it with people thinking they know best?!?!

Thanks SR for letting me vent.
Well done you for ignoring him! No one but you knows how difficult it is! I was discussing something similar with my partner last night about how people who do drink taunt people, I get it for being a veggie too! Folk just become unnerved by us I think and their defence is to attack and ridicule. Makes them feel better as they don't like others to show them up as having a problem and looking like the odd one out! He will eventually get bored and move onto someone else for being different! Keep strong!