View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Climber122

Coffee served a ritualistic need for me in getting sober in several ways. First off, it has a flavor complexity and impact on the palette reminiscent of the liquor I used to drink, so early on before the obsession to drink had lifted it served to be a substitute for a "strong beverage" and helped me to miss liquor less. Also, socially coffee gave me a place to go other than a bar to share this beverage with others - i.e. the coffee shop. And since coffee is available at every AA meeting, I also equated coffee (however bad!) with recovery, which was nice. In addition coffee became part of my morning ritual - it provides me a much needed few quiet minutes while it's brewing in the morning to sit, pray and be. So for me the net gains outweigh any health risks, although I am aware of caffeine's ill-effects.

I will say that those with anxiety should watch their caffeine intake, whether from coffee or anything else - can make a person jittery which can touch off a panic attack. Nothing wrong with the debate on the merits/liabilities of coffee. Bottom line is it won't kill me like alcohol will, nor does it make me mentally ill, so I treat caffeine intake like other normal health concerns such as sodium and saturated fat intake.